Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pa-tatahs

That's potatoes, if you didn't get it.

I dug up 4 hills (of 11-12 hills) of the early red potatoes today. I stopped because I wanted to make sure you guys had a chance to take part in the potato treasure hunt as well. It's fun! I have the diggins in a 5-gallon pail in the house. I figure we can just add the rest of them to that pail, then we can measure what came of the red potato harvest (take a photo) and split the winnings.

I imagine the other potatoes will be ready in another few weeks. You're supposed to tell they're ready when the plant dies back. It looks like those other plants are on their way.

Here's what the first hill yielded:

This is the glamour shot of the potatoes.
This is that they looked like after I dug them up and piled them in the hole.

I just used my hands to dig them up, it was pretty satisfying that way. I can see using a pitch fork if you're in a hurry, but you'd want to make sure to fork well under the hill and lift up so you didn't spear any of these precious nuggets.

The soil was mostly loose and nice in the hills, but I can see forking the bottom of the trenches a bit more to see if we can coax any more potatoes to root further down.


No comments:

Post a Comment